Assistant Lighting Director – Turner – London
We are currently looking to recruit an experience Assistant Lighting Director based in our CNN London office. Here your main responsibility will be to direct and manage lighting needs for CNN, performing the daily responsibilities associated with maintaining the image quality of CNN’s studio broadcasts and to assist in the design of new lighting configurations associated with new programming as deputized by the Lighting Director.
CNN’s portfolio of news and information services is available in seven different languages across all major TV, digital and mobile platforms reaching more than 475 million households globally. CNN International is the number one international TV news channel according to all major media surveys across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, APAC and Latin America and has a US presence, which includes CNNgo. CNN Digital is a leading network for online news, mobile news and social media. Around 1,000 hours of long-form series, documentaries and specials are produced every year by CNNI’s non-news programming division. CNN International is part of WarnerMedia.
What you’ll be doing:
- Perform daily studio lighting operations working closely with the Design, Operations, Editorial and Engineering departments to assure the highest visual image standards are being met.
- Closely collaborate with other department members and actively contribute to the overall creative and technical atmosphere of the department and networks.
- Responsible for operating technical equipment (to include but not limited to, GrandMA consoles, Ethernet nodes, network switches, PC backup systems, DMX generating devices, Video Shading) during live broadcasts from CNN studio and remote sites.
- Responsible for coordinating lighting designs in studio and for remote projects when assigned, to include oversight of lighting design requirements, project budget and crew labour.
- Assist the Lighting Director in maintaining lighting labour and scheduling necessary to ensure on going daily broadcast production remains operational.
- Assist the Lighting Director as needed on lighting designs, drafting and research for the launch of new shows and outside remotes.
- Due to the stand-alone nature of the role, has the authority to troubleshoot and make decisions concerning equipment malfunctions, modifications or repairs to ensure broadcast production remains operational.
What we’re looking for:
- Significant demonstrated advanced technical knowledge in the areas of lighting design, console programming, system maintenance and low impact event rigging.
- Ability to work with creative people under stringent time pressures and generate creative visual concepts that enhance the production process.
- Ability to work independently, within a team and take direction from others.
- Should demonstrate leadership, organisational skills, communication skills, technical knowledge and creativity.
- Proven experience in television broadcast, film or theatre lighting industry.
- Technical certifications in system repair, moving light repair, rigging, or console programming
- Background in television production skills besides lighting design.
- Demonstrated ability to direct and/or design broadcast lighting installations.
What’s on offer:
This role comes with a competitive salary and a wide range of benefits and perks, including private medical, generous pension contribution and company bonus. You’ll have 28 days holiday and we’ll also give you 40 hours per year for you to use for volunteering or charitable work.
Many of our employees work flexibly in many different ways, including flexible hours or an element of working from home. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need.
We are currently based in Soho, however we are moving to new offices in Old Street.
To find out more about WarnerMedia take a look here