Weekend Sports Anchor/MMJ, WTXL – The E.W. Scripps Company – Tallahassee, FL
Company: The E.W. Scripps Company
Location: Tallahassee, FL
The E.W. Scripps Company
Weekend Sports Anchor/Multimedia Journalist
ABC 27, the E.W. Scripps own ABC affiliate located in the Capital City of Florida, is in search of an ambitious, self-starter who is passionate about reporting news that is timely and impactful. As the Sports Anchor/Multimedia Journalist for ABC 27 News Team, you will be responsible for researching, writing, producing, editing sports segments, capturing visual content for multiple platforms, anchoring and/or reporting news casts.
- Receives assignment or evaluates sports leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
- Gathers and verifies factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
- Organizes material, determines slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Shoots video and still photos to illustrate stories.
- Edits, or assists in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms.
- Appears on television program when conducting taped interview or narration
- Gives live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit.
- Write and produce quality sports stories for multiple media platforms.
- Work cooperatively with photographer assigned to story, if one is assigned.
- Report, write, capture visual content, edit and produce sports stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
- Must be able willing to cover other assignments as needed including but not limited to severe weather.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required
Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge and demonstration of editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel laws Requirements
- Computer literacy required, including newsroom computer systems. Videography and non-linear editing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment.
- Edit video on Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar equipment.
- Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills.
- Proficient at posting content to various websites.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
- flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
We strive every day to create a work environment that supports our mission “ We do well by doing good -creating value for our customers, employees and owners by informing, engaging and empowering the communities we serve.”
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for storms or severe weather.
- Participation in an established on-call rotation.
About ABC 27
ABC 27 was established in 1976 providing exceptional local news coverage to the Big Bend of Florida and Southwest Georgia. ABC 27 is known throughout the viewing area for their community engagement, accurate journalism, breaking news and severe weather coverage. We are located just 25 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and 14 miles south of Georgia. Known for being the Capital City of Florida, Tallahassee is a vibrant college town and is home to Florida’s Legislature. Tallahassee truly has something for everyone. The numerous parks and lakes are sanctuaries for the outdoor enthusiast. Those interested in the Cultural Arts will find a plethora of options from the two national known Universities; and for those sun worshipers the Forgotten Coast beaches are just a 45-minute scenic drive down Hwy 98.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) advances understanding of the world through journalism. As the nation’s fourth-largest independent TV station owner, Scripps operates 60 television stations in 42 markets. Scripps empowers the next generation of news consumers with its multiplatform news network Newsy and reaches growing audiences through broadcast networks including Bounce and Court TV. Shaping the future of storytelling through digital audio, Scripps owns top podcast company Stitcher and Triton, the global leader in technology and measurement services. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.