Weekend Meteorologist – Nexstar Broadcasting – Panama City, FL
Company: Nexstar Broadcasting
Location: Panama City, FL
WMBB-TV, the ABC affiliate for the Florida Panhandle, is looking for someone to join its award-winning news team in the role of Weekend Meteorologist/Digital MMJ . Qualified candidates will have a college degree in meteorology and must be able to produce news/feature content for the station’s digital platforms. The News 13 team is an aggressive news organization, with the reputation of reporting stories first and accurately. No one in the market covers breaking news any better than we do. We also have a progressive digital media unit that meshes seamlessly with our on-air news product. We have a brand-new state-of-the-art newsroom courtesy of 2018’s Hurricane Michael. You won’t find a better facility in which to work. You get to live in a community where millions of people pay to vacation. Many of our employees love it here so much they stay. The ones who decide to pursue new opportunities move on to great jobs in bigger markets. If this sounds like the place for you, please apply and include a link to your latest on-air work.
- Produces and presents weather reports for all platforms.
- Ensures that all weather content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
- Writes and delivers weather stories in a clear and concise manner.
- Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
- Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
- Works closely with the weather team to develop comprehensive weather coverage.
- Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Writes web stories detailing the local forecast on a daily basis.
- Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
Requirements & Skills :
- Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
- Minimum five years’ experience in weather reporting or anchoring. (More or less depending on market size.)
- Superior on-air presence.
- Experience guiding, directing and motivating others.
- Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
- Strong understanding of the field of meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Flexibility to work any shift.
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you’ll enjoy your career with us!