E.W. Scripps is a premier media organization headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio. We are currently seeking a high-energy, multi-tasking Sr. Director, Revenue Strategy to join our team.
The Sr Dir, Revenue Strategy is responsible for setting direction and driving television and digital advertising sales through the organization and ensuring industry-leading end-to-end operations. This person will provide consulting on the go-to-market strategy for the varied sales channels as well as provide coaching and support to the field sales teams to ensure sales budgets are met and exceeded.
- Collaborates directly with the VP, Local Media Operations and station general managers on holding sales teams accountable for achieving overall revenue goal of each station.
- Work with VP, Local Media Sales to execute the Scripps sales culture and vision, and facilitate the sales direction of the stations.
- Track and help implement sales strategies and tactics with station sales directors to achieve special opportunities, new business, and digital goals.
- Maintain high visibility in the local communities through consistent communication with key agencies and companies that support local and national advertising; participate in local and national industry trade groups; represent the company at industry events.
- Maintain consistent travel schedule to each market, including local sales calls; conduct sales meeting and one-on-one meetings with sales managers, GM and other key department heads.
- Actively be involved in key account targeting, sales strategy, presentation and proposal generation including but not limited to involvement in sales calls as needed by local sales managers.
- Identify training needs for the sales managers and employees, including all aspects of local, digital, national, and political sales management.
- Recruit, develop, coach and motivate sales management for individual and company growth. Assist in succession planning for sales for both inside individual stations as well as across all of station group.
- Work with Dir, Business Development to create and develop non-traditional revenue strategies and implement new business plans, sales projects, and strategic plans for sales.
- Interface with station’s national TV rep firm to set goals and objectives, and hold firm accountable for the achievement of all expectations.
- Use ad management system and traffic hubs to maximize inventory and achieve revenue goals.
- Track sales activity key performance indicators to meet ad sales revenue and profit goals.
- Evaluate potential new revenue generating platforms and programs for viability for Scripps’ stations.
- Partner with local sales leadership to establish local market value and position of the station, including strengths and weaknesses of competing stations and mediums.
- Partner with other Senior Director(s), Local Media Sales to coordinate and host general sales management monthly conference call; establish effective communication methods to distribute information across the division and to identify station best practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive management responsibility in media and integrated sales.
- Proficient in face-to-face sales calling and intense understanding of local media platforms.
- Previous sales director experience in digital and television sales preferred.
Skills & Abilities
- Expert knowledge of all facets of broadcast and digital sales and marketing.
- Proven track record of hiring, recruiting, and developing high performing sales teams, skilled at personnel development with the ability to coach and facilitate succession planning at all levels of Sales.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Effective in a variety of formal presentation settings both inside and outside the organization.
- Skilled at bringing creative ideas of others to market; can project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace; has a keen sense about managing the creative process of others.
- Proven and effective leadership skills; leads by example, fosters open dialogue, empowers others, addresses conflict quickly and directly, and builds rapport quickly.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Understanding of strategic account management, ratings, and digital execution.
- Must be a team player with the ability to create innovative sales strategies.
- Must maintain integrity in all business dealings.
- Ability to work independently and follow through on assignments with minimal direction.
- Local and national travel required, up to 50%
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of local and national media brands. With 60 television stations in 42 markets, Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs a collection of national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy , the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Stitcher ; the fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce , Grit , Escape , Laff and Court TV ; and Triton , the global leader in digital audio technology and measurement services. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee . Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.