Reports to: Vice President and Technical Director
Status: Full-time, exempt, seasonal (approximately July 2019-June 2020 with annual renewal)
Salary: Competitive based on experience, paid biweekly
Lyric Opera of Chicago exists to provide a broad, deep, and relevant cultural service to the Chicago region and the nation, and to advance the development of the art form of opera.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the development of all technical aspects of Lyric Opera productions, coordinate implementation of designers’/directors’ requirements, and monitor the installation and running of productions on stage.
- Participate in pre-production meetings, construction coordination, and supervision of summer technical rehearsals.
- Develop and produce technical drawings of scenery and props for shows using CAD.
- Collect and disperse technical information to staff regarding scenery, props, and required stage management documentation.
- Oversee the production of new required show elements including construction and scenic art.
- Research equipment and materials required for specific effects, props, or technical requirements and recommend purchase(s).
- Attend and oversee setup and scenery shifts for rehearsals and performances; provide assistance to the Director, Designers, musical staff, and stage management staff concerning scenery, props, and staging.
- Maintain appropriate record-keeping system for technical documents, production archives, and production rental packets.
- Provide direction and oversee stagehands for assigned performances; contribute assistance in solving problems before, during, and after performances.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic knowledge of technical production, including practical experience in shop/stage operations, scenic construction, props building techniques, stage rigging, painting, and lighting is essential.
- Demonstrated skills in AutoCAD (3D highly preferable), Vectorworks, and the Adobe Creative suite.
- Some design background is beneficial but not required. Knowledge of periods and style is helpful.
- Experience with union crews is highly beneficial.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and use time efficiently all required.
- Must have effective organizational, analytical, interpersonal, and oral/written communication skills.
- Familiarity with opera repertoire and/or experience in crew supervision is desirable.
- Ability to work and think independently, a motivated self-starter who also works well in a larger team.
- Ability to occasionally oversee evening or weekend functions, deployments or performances.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate technical equipment and computers.