REPORTS TO: Artistic Director and Director of Production
At Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, we bring artists, art and audiences together to enrich, engage and changes lives through the experience of dance. Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is home to the premier contemporary dance company in the United States, the largest dance facility in Chicago, and serves the community through youth, education and community engagement programs, and adaptive dance programs that serve thousands across the Chicago area. Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (HSDC) seeks an experienced Stage Manager and Head of Props. Reporting to the Artistic Director and the Director of Production, the Stage Manager and Head of Props is a key member of the production department. Hubbard Street Dance performs in Chicago approximately three to twelve times a year in addition to touring nationally and internationally. The ideal Stage Manager candidate can work collaboratively with the artistic and production leadership to ensure consistent artistic quality. Working under the IATSE Local 2 collective bargaining agreement, the Stage Manager and Head of Props will join a Unit Team of Head Carpenter, Head Electrician, and Head of Audio. Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is a yellowcard engagement. This position is seasonal/part time.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the Director of Production and IATSE crew in the preparations and execution of Company programs.
- Make certain that all Company performance calls are in sync, including but not limited to: Dancers, Apprentices, Production, Wardrobe, Artistic, and guest performers.
- Oversee the safety of all performers and staff in both rehearsal and performance situations.
- Maintain Company callboards, backstage first aid kids, and props tables at all theater locations.
- Ensure compliance and adhere to dancer employee agreement, Company operating policies, and IATSE collective bargaining agreement.
- Ensure proper “Company time” by keeping time in the theater.
- Coordinate the cueing of all Company productions with Unit Team, designers, choreographers, local crews, and wardrobe.
- Manage or “run” all theater rehearsals for all Company productions; execute and “call” all Company performances.
- With the props team, set up barres and piano for daily dance class at all theater locations.
- Maintain inventory of all props, dance floors, floor tapes, stage management technology, and department equipment cases.
- Create and maintain Calling Sheets or Prompt Book for all Company repertoire.
- Train and supervise props team members at both IATSE and non-union venues.
- Oversee the proper laying and cleaning rituals of dance floor. Revised 4/24/19
- Coordinate with Director of Production ordering supplies for Company performances.
- With the IATSE crew, local labor, and/or Teamsters, load and unload all semis and box trucks for all Company performances.
- Attend production meetings as scheduled by Director of Production.
- Other duties as deemed appropriate.
- Hubbard Street gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Professional experience as a stage manager, with priority to candidates who have stage managed for dance. Bachelor’s degree in theater arts (MFA preferred), or comparable work experience.
- Knowledge of dance terminology and methods.
- International touring experience.
- Experience working in a union environment.
- The ability to lead and manage an IATSE and/or non-union crew through load in, technical rehearsals, changeovers, work calls, and load out.
- The ability to tape out a rehearsal studio and stage floor in proper scale.
- Proficiency in reading theatrical stage drawings.
- Seasoned experience in all elements of stagecraft.
- Literacy in the Microsoft Outlook environment, as well as Drop Box, Google Drive, Excel and Microsoft Word platforms.
- Experience in researching, purchasing, renting, value-engineering, and/or manufacturing hand props.
- Flexibility and a “team player” sensibility and committed to creating a collegiate culture while being a point of contact for several departments.
- The ability to speak in public competently and effectively before the company and audiences.
- The ability to work productively, graciously, and in an organized manner under strict time constraints, as well as face demanding situations with tenacity and sensitivity.
- Superior relationship building and interpersonal skills that allow the individual to function in a variety of settings among widely different groups of artists and stage professionals.
- Must be able to lift and carry heavy loads up to 50 lbs. and stand/sit for long periods of time.
- Valid passport required for both domestic and international travel.
- Evening, weekend, and irregular hours are required.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, work samples, and professional references (.pdfs only) to [email protected] by July 1, 2019. Please include STAGE MANAGER in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please.
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in all areas of the organization’s work.