Production Assistant – Newsy – The E.W. Scripps Company – Chicago, IL
Company: The E.W. Scripps Company
Location: Chicago, IL
The E.W. Scripps Company
Want to be part of our wave-making newsroom in an industry filled with partisan panels? Want to be part of a team that breaks the mold on how to report information without falling into one side or another?
Newsy is America’s fastest-growing news network, with state-of-the-art production facilities based in the heart of Chicago. The network offers up live programming Mondays through Fridays and dedicates its time to informing viewers, not influencing them.
Newsy’s groundbreaking Chicago newsroom is looking for a part-time Production Assistant. You’re a fit if you love live television operations and are wired as a self-starter who sees something needing to be done and jumps on it.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for assisting the team with daily studio and field production.
What you’ll do:
- Assist with live-to-tape news and special programming
- Assist studio camera operations
- Assist and manage teleprompter operations
- Assist and manage floor and studio production setup
- Assist in guest greeting and mic/IFB set up
- Assist and manage floor direction
- Work with studio directors to minimize last-minute complications
- Assist in planning and execution of field production, as assigned
- Assist editorial unit with live and live-tot-tape news and special programming
- Simple news video editing and story production
- Assist and complete production of content for Newsy’s multiple platforms, including linear and OTT
- Work with engineers to upload airchecks, backup files and other admin duties related to show production
- Other duties as assigned
What you bring:
- Previous newsroom experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Highly organized with ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and projects while maintaining accuracy and quality; meticulous attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including grammar, storytelling abilities and news judgment.
- Proficiency in Mac and PC, Final Cut Pro (Adobe Suite a plus) and newsroom computer systems.
- Knowledge and demonstration of creativity, editorial judgment.
- Ability to execute time sensitive decisions
- Overtime, weekend, overnight, shift and holiday work will be required
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- 1 year of television newsroom experience preferred
- Background in film, TV and audio preferred
Newsy is the next-generation national news network that provides “news with the why,” built to inform and engage with the top stories across every platform. It’s available on cable; on over-the-top services including Hulu, Roku, Apple TV, Sling TV, Watchable from Comcast, Pluto TV, Amazon Fire TV and Google Chromecast; and on connected television including Xumo. Newsy is also available via its mobile apps and at newsy.com.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.