Media Designer – Shedd Aquarium – Chicago, IL
Company: Shedd Aquarium
Address: Chicago, IL
The Media Designer specializes in motion graphic animation while adhering to Shedd’s brand for visual storytelling through video, interactive and theatrical experiences both at Shedd Aquarium and off-site.
The Media Designer collaborates with the media team to establish the conceptual and stylistic direction for graphic and animation components for multimedia pieces. While reporting to the Director of Integrated Media and Licensing, the Media Designer works closely with Shedd’s videographer and story developer as well as the brand design team. The Media Designer collaborates creatively to generate, articulate and produce concepts, including, but not limited to: short documentaries, commercials, aquatic show media, infographic- and animation-driven videos, digital user interfaces and web.
The Media Designer creates visual storyboards for various media that help convey intended concept/vision for the final product. The Media Designer is detail-oriented, with aesthetic sensitivity and attention to quality. The ability to work independently and proactively on multiple projects with multiple deadlines at any given time is critical. A team player, the media designer is collaborative, cooperative and professional with colleagues, clients, and vendors.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate commitment to Shedd’s vision, mission and values
- Create and integrate engaging motion graphic animations into video and other multimedia projects, while adhering to Shedd’s brand
- Assist in selecting appropriate audio style
- Assist with film shoots, both on and off-site
- Caption videos as needed, integrating best typography for digital media
- Manage several projects simultaneously from concept to completion
- Create visual storyboards for various media that help convey intended concept/vision for final product (examples are commercial and aquatic presentation media)
- Think conceptually within project constraints and schedule
- Work with video editor, producers and other designers to resolve technical or design issues
- Maintain and follow best practices for version control, naming conventions and organization of graphic files
- Light video editing
- Work weekends or evenings, occasionally, as well as willing to travel
- Other duties as assigned
- A bachelor’s/master’s degree in motion graphics, graphic design or a related creative field from an accredited design school or university is strongly preferred.
- However, a substitution of equivalent experience would be considered for a top candidate.
- 3-5 years’ professional experience in creating motion graphics, with a portfolio of current work
- Expert knowledge of After Effects required
- Working knowledge of Adobe Premiere Pro, HTML CSS- Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign
- An understanding of current best practices in graphic design principles
- Strong understanding of video formats, codecs, exporting and compression
- Excellent typography skills, knowledge of appropriate fonts and colors allowing for effective legibility
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, ability to multi-task in a fast -paced environment
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with a strong attention to detail
- Working knowledge of video equipment and lighting to assist with basic video shoots
- Working knowledge of all aspects of video production
- Solid understanding of copyright rules and regulations
- Ability to manage confidential and proprietary information
- Ability to carry videography equipment
We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ community, veterans and active duty military, parents, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from all cultural backgrounds to apply. Shedd Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team.
If you need a reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. In your application, please feel free to select which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs).