Managing Editor and Content Producer – Columbia College Chicago – Chicago, IL
Company: Columbia College Chicago
Location: Chicago, IL
Columbia College Chicago
Columbia College Chicago is an acclaimed undergraduate and graduate institution that provides a comprehensive education in the arts, communications and public relations. We constantly aim to reach our full potential as an educational innovator, incubator of new creative practice and generator of real-world success for young creatives. We are located in the heart of Chicago, across the street from historic Grant Park, and housed in some of the most iconic buildings in the South Loop.
Columbia College Chicago a private urban institution of over 6,000 undergraduate and graduate students, four-year College offering a distinctive curriculum that blends liberal arts, creative and media arts and business is currently searching for a Managing Editor and Content Producer.
The Managing Editor and Content Producer is a member of the central fundraising team at Columbia College Chicago and will plan, develop, and oversee unique, compelling, and consistent messages that support Columbia College Chicago’s Development and Alumni Relations efforts, playing a major role in helping the department and college tell its story to a wide variety of audiences through print, web, video, and other channels. This position will serve as the editor of Columbia College Chicago’s alumni magazine and will oversee the planning, production, and management of content. Additionally, this position will develop, implement, and project-manage digital and print solicitation campaigns in consultation with the Director of Annual Giving. Through all projects, this position will facilitate strategies to increase donor participation and fundraising targets.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Serve as managing editor of the college’s flagship publication, DEMO. Responsibilities include:
- Oversee story research, selection, and development for two annual publications.
- Serve as the project manager when working with designers, writers, photographers, proofreaders, vendors; manage budget; manage print and distribution process.
- Oversee the online presence of the magazine, measure the success of the daily newsfeed/subscribers by collecting and analyzing story metrics to refine the strategic development of stories and grow online subscribers.
- Edit, fact check, and proofread content for publication to ensure it is error-free.
Serve as the Content Producer for development-focused communications.
- Collaborate with major gift officers, alumni relations, and central communications teams to create compelling stories that highlight donor and scholarship stories and supports the creation of a philanthropic culture on campus.
- Develop marketing strategies and copywriting for year-round and multi-channel digital and direct response fundraising campaigns to increase donor acquisition, renewals, and recurring giving.
- Oversee social media communications and provide strategies to increase online engagement; collaborate with the team for social media posts.
- Serve as project manager and coordinate with designers, videographers, and print vendors to produce digital and print collateral.
- Collect and analyze performance metrics and collaborate with the team in developing marketing and/or data segmentation strategies that will enhance donor retention and acquisition.
- Advise the team on trends in the industry and recommend opportunities for improvement in key partnerships and production processes.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee and is subject to change based on the needs of the department and/or college.
At Columbia, we offer a rewarding work environment for our faculty and staff. We take pride in offering competitive benefits with affordable health, dental and vision coverage; flexible spending accounts; commuter benefit program, life and accidental, death & dismemberment coverage; paid and unpaid leave options; work/life benefits; educational assistance programs; and retirement and financial planning benefits.
We invite you to join our talented faculty and staff and become part of our collective aspiration to ensure Columbia prepares students for success in their creative fields through innovation, engagement and real-world experiences.
Position subject to a background screening.
This is a non-union position.
This position is not overtime eligible.
Qualified candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Columbia College Chicago is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations concerning civil rights. The college does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law.
- Required bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, communications, or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Four or more years of professional communications and writing skills preferred. Magazine experience and fundraising/alumni relations experience preferred.
- Proven ability to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction, and operate with a sense of urgency, drive, and energy.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in a demanding, deadline-driven, team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work quickly and independently while using sound judgment to deliver high-quality copy requiring minimal rewriting or copy editing.
- Exceptional copy-editing, proofing, and fact-checking skills.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Polished interpersonal/communications skills with ability to collaborate with a variety of colleagues across the college.
- Experience with content management systems to manage online content.
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Shift: Day Job
Job Type: Standard
Job Level: Individual Contributor