Internship Position – Media Relations Department – Choose Chicago – Chicago, IL
Choose Chicago job in Chicago, IL
A good media relations internship can give you a boost up the career ladder. Internships let you see how you like the work and how the work likes you. Internships may not be the most glamorous title in an office, but if you find the right opening, you can try your hand at writing press releases, working on media events, developing media content, researching media requests and more. Show your stuff and make your mark. Develop media contacts. Meet the movers and shakers in your
community. You can also get academic credit for it.
WHO WE ARE, WHAT WE DO
Choose Chicago is the official destination marketing organization for Chicago, Illinois. Its mission is to bring regional, national and international business and leisure visitors to Chicago for the economic benefit of the city, the community and its membership. For more information visit www.ChooseChicago.com.
The Media Relations department generates print, online and broadcast media coverage of the destination by writing and distributing news releases and information; hosting travel, lifestyle and other media in Chicago; conducting domestic and international in-market media missions; responding to media inquiries and serving as a resource for national and international journalists covering Chicago. The team also conducts press familiarization (FAM) tours that show off the
destination to media and generates positive exposure worldwide.
Choose Chicago is seeking two qualified interns who are able to work a minimum of 24 hours per week with the Media Relations team, providing administrative and coordination support to the Media Relations department in generating worldwide media coverage for Chicago as a must-see destination, and in raising awareness of Choose Chicago among partners and stakeholders. This internship is an opportunity to provide a college/university student to combine academic
learning with actual experience in a work environment where the student has the opportunity to apply concepts and principles learned in the classroom. Choose Chicago will provide guidance and support to allow the student to develop knowledge about Media Relations.
REPORTS TO: Media Relations team’s Vice President and Directors
- Assist with project coordination and logistics (i.e. press tours, in-market missions, promotions, media visits, media marketplaces, events, fact-checking and research, inquiries, image/video fulfillment, shipping, etc.)
- Track and order copies of media coverage as necessary
- Research media outlets, editors, freelancers, influencers, broadcasters in target markets
- Keep up to date on information and happenings in the destination
- Scan and save media coverage; photocopy documents as necessary
- Contribute to development of story angles and ideas and media outreach initiatives
- Liaise directly with partner organizations and/or suppliers to support media inquiries, media visits and other needs
- Perform follow-up actions on specific programs and meetings
- Draft press releases, story pitches and market-specific fact sheets for media
- Develop custom travel itineraries for individual media visits and group press tours
- Coordinate media requests and itinerary support with partners, including media transportation
- Prepare welcome bags and press kits for visiting media
- Update What’s New press release and other press/news releases as required
- Interface with other departments as needed for special projects
- Perform other media relations departmental duties as assigned
- Junior or senior college/university student majoring in Public Relations or Communications
- Fluent in English (other languages such as French, German, Mandarin, Spanish, Portuguese) a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills for frequent interaction with clients
- Exceptional writing, spelling, punctuation and English grammar skills
- Ability to establish priorities, meet deadlines and effectively manage multiple projects
- Demonstrate ability to manage multiple and conflicting demands, be organized and meet tight deadlines in a fastpaced environment
- Ability to adapt quickly to situations and manage multiple partner/stakeholder demands
- Proficiency in computer applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), Adobe, Photoshop
- Strong knowledge of Chicago hotels, venues, attractions, restaurants and neighborhoods
- A high degree of confidentiality, discretion and sound judgment
- Strong attention to detail, self-motivated, organized and flexible work style
- Represent Chicago in a professional manner with internal and external clients
- Take initiative and work with minimal supervision
- Type 30 correct words per minute
- Ability to proofread alpha and numeric data
- Ability to work cooperatively and communicate effectively with a positive attitude
- Good and consistent attendance record
- Able to maintain composure under stress.
Intern Period: Spring through end of Fall
Hours: Work minimum 24 hours per week
Positions Open: Two (2) per session
Office Location: Choose Chicago, 72 East Randolph Street, Chicago, IL 60601
To apply for this job please click here.
Suggested production jobs...