Graphic Designer – Spikeball – Chicago, IL
Location: Chicago, IL
We’re building the next great global sport. We need help telling the story.
Whether it’s an amazing video on Instagram or a smirk inducing email, great content is the lifeblood of the Spikeball brand. And as our business grows and evolves so must our creative team. 95% of Spikeball’s current creative needs are handled by a single person. He films, he designs, he slices and dices. He does it all well but it’s not sustainable. We have the great problem of growing too fast.
The future Spikeball design department will consist of two roles, a videographer and a graphic designer. The two roles will collaborate early and often but each will have specific specialties and responsibilities.
- Digital Assets. Working with UX/UI to design for the Spikeball App, Spikeball.com, social media posts and non-video digital ads.
- Packaging & Print. Primarily retail packaging for the 2-3 items we launch each year.
- Brand Identity. Please don’t request a copy of our brand book, we don’t have one. We use consistent colors, fonts and logos but haven’t spent much time holistically evaluating our brand identity. Should we?
- Apparel. We’ve got some great stories to tell but haven’t cracked how to tell them on a t-shirt or hat. Help us.
- Strategery. Yes, you’ll be responsible for cranking out content but you’ll also work with the marketing team to co-write the brief and help shape our go-forward content strategy and design architecture. Want to define a brand that’s just starting to hit its stride? This is your chance.
Who we’re looking for:
- 2-5 years of relevant experience, either as a freelancer or in a creative department
- You’re excited about working with TONS of autonomy
- You think that the best way of doing it right is you doing it.
- You’re like a swiss army knife of design skills – web, print, apparel.
- Bonus if you’re handy with a camera and able to shoot some of your own stuff
Why work for Spikeball:
- Autonomy. You are a driven, highly motivated person. You don’t need someone constantly peering over your shoulder. It’s up to you to determine how you will achieve your goals. We’ll support you as much as you want. We will get out of your way so you can do the brilliant things that we know you’re capable of.
- Help create the next great American sport.
- Even though we are nearly 10 years old, we are still in the early days. Your efforts will directly impact the entire business.
- Paid vacation policy of’ take as much time as necessary’ (work really really hard and relax often).
- Competitive compensation with the ability for merit increases after 18 months tenure.
- Paid time off for Birthdays (You were born.. life isn’t easy.. you deserve it! )
- Time off during the day (Want to work out or hit a yoga class at lunch? Go for it!)
- $500 desk and productivity allowance. (Get what you need to dress up your workspace and be productive)
- Macbook Air or Macbook Pro.
- Flexible work environment. After 12 months of tenure, you will have the opportunity to live where you want and work remotely. (Assuming your position at the company is conducive to this work environment perk.)
- $1,000 stipend after 12 months tenure for bucket list adventure travel.
- Free registration to all tournaments run by Spikeball Inc.
- $500 donation to the charity of your choice in your name at the end of each year
- $500 yearly “continuous improvement stipend for employee education and learning opportunities
- Extended Maternity and Paternity leave.