Public Affairs Specialist – US Other Agencies and Independent Organizations – Cambridge, MA
Company: US Other Agencies and Independent Organizations
Location: Cambridge, MA
US Other Agencies and Independent Organizations
- -Writes and disseminates materials for use on website, social media, and cultivation materials. Edits scientific writing for local and national print broadcast media representatives, news releases and feature articles describing exhibitions, acquisitions, lectures, presentation ceremonies and related staff activities:
- -Organizes and coordinates print and broadcast media interviews with staff members, and oversees all arrangements with the media involving agency activities; provides photographs and other material as required;
- -Establishes and maintains working relationships with science media groups and local media groups;
- -Coordinates logistics for public events, including sharing information calendar, working with videographer and audio professionals, coordinating with booksellers, sharing assistant duties, etc;
- -Manages social media presence of the organization;
- -Serves as main interface with the public, including managing Public Affairs inbox and telephone line and fielding all requests and questions;
- -Develops and designs presentations for use by senior officials;
- -Manages procurement process for all vendors associated with external affairs, including processing requisitions and contract management of all videographers, illustrators, website developers, etc;
- -Processes travel and all other associated administrative duties relating to external affairs;
- -Develops strategies and processes for external affairs, including process for filming and interview requests, press options, and image permission use policies;
- -Drafts, edits and reviews correspondence and gift proposals as needed.
Job family (Series)
1035 Public Affairs
Conditions of Employment
- Pre- and post-appointment background investigation is required.
- May be required to serve a one year probationary period.
- Direct deposit/electronic funds transfer required for salary payment.
For qualifications please see go to: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1000/public-affairs-series-1035/
Applicants must meet the basic qualification requirements as described in the Office of
Personnel Management’s Qualification Standards Handbook for General Schedule Positions.
These standards may be viewed at the following address on the web at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1000/public-affairs-series-1035/
In addition to the required basic qualifications, you must have one year of full-time experience at the grade 9 level that is close or similar to the work of this job.
This experience would include activities such as planning, organizing, advertising, and executing public events, and coordinating an organizations efforts to educate the public, media, and government officials about a topic requiring specialized technical knowledge.
There is no specific education requirement for this series.
The Smithsonian does not pay relocation expenses.
The Smithsonian embraces diversity and equal employment opportunity.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
Knowledge of written and oral communication methods and techniques and skill in applying this knowledge in directing a public affairs function for an organization and applying analytical techniques and interpersonal relations skills in determining the needs and desires of the agency’s publics and in dealing effectively with those audiences. This includes:
– Skill in producing innovative written materials and in stimulating interest on the part of the organization’s various publics concerning activities; programs and events conducted or co-sponsored by the agency;
– Skill in editing presentations delivered by senior scientists and officials for public audiences;
– Skill in making oral presentations to national organizations involved in same general areas as agency and in relating such activities to those of other organizations and gaining cooperation in joint ventures;
– Skill in establishing and maintaining effective and cooperative work relationships with representatives of the local and national media in obtaining cooperation in agency activities;
– Skill in collecting and analyzing the views and opinions of general public in developing recommendations for stimulating interest in the agency’s activities and structuring some of its programs.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Your application package should include the
- Detailed resume
- Unofficial school transcripts, if the position has an education requirement or if you are using education to qualify. If selected for the position, you must provide an official transcript before appointment.
Proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign
study, if applicable.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
This is a Trust fund position. Please refer to our website:
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
The incumbent of this position supports all press and media relations efforts by producing written and digital content for marketing and media purposes, developing content and social strategy coordinating media request, helping to manage branding and website redesign projects and organizing outreach events.
Occasional travel – May be required to travel to conferences, meetings, etc.,
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
This position is open to all qualified candidates residing within the commuting area and who are eligible to work in the United States.