Editor & Content Strategist – Harvard University – Cambridge, MA
Harvard University job in Cambridge, MA
Harvard Library’s Communication Team is looking for a web-savvy storyteller and editor who can use innovative strategies, tools, and tactics to promote the Library’s business goals to connect users with information and enhance the impact and public reach of the Library’s one of a kind collections, services, and tools.
Reporting to the director of communication, the Editor and Content Strategist is the strategic voice in storytelling. Managing our outreach channels, including Library.Harvard and social, you run the editorial process, from brainstorming and approving ideas through edits and final approval for publication on our channels or pitch and produce them in partnership with Harvard University channels. You collaborate with writers, multimedia creators, developers, UX strategists, and library experts, and manage our social media intern and graphic design intern. You lead the evaluation of storytelling and distribution methods to ensure content is actively expanding and engaging our audience while supporting business goals.
You can write clearly under deadline, edit to sharpen ideas, and are confident conceptualizing, drafting, and editing user-focused content. You evangelize user-centered communication, possess a dogged curiosity, and offer a deeply collaborative spirit. You are a patient facilitator and strategic thinker who can lead complex discussions into focused, actionable outcomes. But most of all, you are a self-starter, who is easy to communicate with and does not hesitate to throw out ideas, to be imaginative, and challenge conventional thinking.
The ideal candidate is:
- A radical simplifier. You see the through line beneath complicated ideas and can convey it with clarity, purpose, and simplicity.
- A strategic thinker. You’re capable of connecting content priorities to user needs and business goals.
- A user-centered design zealot. At the heart of your work lies a nugget of deep human insight that keeps the user at the center of everything you do.
- A curious mind. You thrive on the process of research and information gathering that can support decision making.
Manage Library.Harvard.edu; produce new high-level website pages with content owners, organize regular content evaluations, and report on site performance using Google Analytics, user research, and other qualitative and quantitative measures, identifying opportunities for improvement
- Act as a strategic voice in storytelling conversations and editorial planning driving the Library’s editorial planning; edit pieces prior to publication and help with production needs; regularly contribute story ideas of your own that you write/produce yourself
- Lead editorial pitch, planning, and review sessions with producers helping to develop fun and engaging stories to share with users across formats and maintain a content calendar
- Manage the content pipeline for the library website, social media channels, newsletters, print collateral and more – from green lighting ideas and editing to distribution/promotion plans and analytics reporting;
Lead the evaluation of storytelling and distribution methods with available metrics to ensure content is actively expanding and engaging our audience and supporting business goals
- Conceptualize, draft, edit, and produce Library collateral and marketing products to achieve business goals with key audiences; manage vendors and consultants to produce products, when needed
Develop partnerships with stakeholders across the Library and the University to help with idea development as well as promotion/distribution
Manage relevant vendor work—including podcasters, photographers, videographers, designers, etc.
Champion and enforce the Library’s writing, content lifecycle, and brand guidelines; coach and support Library staff on writing for the web, content strategy and digital content best practices through workshops, office hours, or by consulting on discrete projects
- At least five years of professional experience in digital content management and production, content strategy, writing for the web, story editing, journalism, communications or related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, political science, or related field.
- Passion for learning and experimenting with new methods to deliver solutions.
- Strong communication skills, highly organized, and committed to a team environment and maintain a professional demeanor.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, work well under pressure, and meet deadlines.
- Experience working in a complex organization with multiple stakeholders; ability to work effectively in a team environment and with all levels of management.
- Experience creating web content in Drupal or similar content management system and assessing analytics.
- A keen eye for design and experience working with a small team of creative colleagues like videographers, graphic designers, and writers.
- Familiarity with Agile-like project management and user research a plus.
To apply for this job please click here.
Suggested production jobs...