Costume Shop Supervisor – Salem State University – Salem, MA
Company: Salem State University
Location: Salem, MA
Salem State University
General Statement of Duties
The Staff Assistant, Costume Shop Supervisor, is responsible for the planning, operation, and supervision of the costume shop, including supervision of student laboratory hours in the costume shop, and the cutting and construction of costumes for all departmental productions.
Salem State’s Theatre department is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre and offers a BA in Theatre Arts (Performance, Technical Theatre) and a BFA in Theatre Arts (Design, Directing, Performance, Playwrighting, Stage Management, Technical Theatre), and performs in a newly renovated $26 million state-of-the-art theater, The Sophia Gordon Center for Creative & Performing Arts. Salem State Theatre is a nationally award-winning department whose graduates have: worked on and off Broadway, in regional theatre, television and film, attended graduate schools such as Yale, Harvard, Brandeis and NYU, and have won Tonys, Obies, and numerous Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival awards for acting and directing in Washington, D.C. Our design/technical theatre/stage management students have won regional awards and presented at the Kennedy Center.
Salem State is a teaching university, committed to our students’ learning and growth, many of whom are the first in their family to go to college. Collegiality, student success, civic engagement, collaboration, initiative, continuous improvement and accountability are highly valued in our organizational culture and we seek a colleague who shares those values and wants to be part of our community.
Duties and Responsibilities
- (E) Monitor safety and efficiency of all costume shop equipment
- (E) Maintain the security of the costume shop areas and storage areas
- (E) Organize the costume shop and storage areas for maximum efficiency, safety, and security
- (E) Purchase and order supplies necessary for continued efficient shop functions (i.e. thread, needles, muslin, detergent, and any specialty items needed for productions)
- (E) Supervise and organize student workers in costume shop during lab hours
- (E) Schedule production tasks necessary for completion of each production and posting tasks for completion on a daily basis in consultation with designers and drapers
- (E) Attend all costume fittings and records clear paperwork into the show “bible”
- (E) Maintain and record all paperwork for the costume run sheet
- (E) Supervise and perform cutting, patterning, and construction tasks as necessary in collaboration with the designer
- (E) Monitor the cleaning, storage, and maintenance of costume pieces and properties before, during, and after production
- (E) Function as the wardrobe supervisor by training student run crews, attend all dress rehearsals, and choreograph quick changes
- (E) Rig costumes in order to add with quick changes, in discussion with the designer
- Assist faculty in training and developing students’ skills during workshop hours for costuming THE 201, THE202, THE 108, and THE 308
- Serves as role model and mentor for students as appropriate
- Demonstrates sensitivity to students, faculty, and staff of varying racial, ethnic, religious, gender, cultural, disability, sexual orientation and socio-economic backgrounds
- Demonstrate sensitivity to students with a diversity of learning styles
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Theatre Arts and/or professional training in fashion and textiles and/or equivalent professional experience
- A minimum of one year of teaching or mentoring experience in costuming
- Knowledge of period and contemporary clothing and accessories, fabric characteristics, dyeing, distressing, fitting, costume rigging, patterning, and draping
- Working knowledge of all aspects of costume construction including patterning
- Working knowledge of state-of-the-art construction equipment and materials
- Experience supervising construction crews of varied skills
- Operating and basic repair knowledge of sewing machines and other applicable machinery and devices required
- Valid drivers license required – this position necessitates some use of personal vehicle
- Advanced interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Strategic thinking and problem-solving skills around wardrobe, executing production design, and managing inventory
- Prioritization and time-management skills in managing workflow of the costume shop
- Demonstrated commitment to safety in the industry
- Strong advanced knowledge and experience in theatrical costume construction (machine and hand sewing, alterations, professional finishing techniques, basic crafts, dyeing, millinery)
- Leadership experience in staff management and wardrobe supervision
- Proficiency with standard costume shop equipment and maintenance
Salem State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Work is performed in a theatrical shop setting; exposure to noise, dust, heights, and moving parts; Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in a theatre setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate sewing equipment and machinery requiring repetitive hand movement and fine motor coordination.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may come down at any time. Once a posting is removed, additional applications will not be accepted.