Brown Art Ink, a community and arts incubator, seeks an experienced video editor with a passion for storytelling and the ability to translate our organization’s mission and goals to screens. This part-time, contract role will require approximately 5-10 hours per week, with the opportunity to increase as the position grows.
Brown Art Ink is a nomadic community incubator to support the arts ecosystem for artists, cultural practitioners, and communities of color. Our work is firmly rooted in community and place as site of memory and cultural geography. We operate with three goals in mind:
- Ensure opportunities for artists of color to have sustainable art careers with livable wages, fair work conditions, and equitable partnerships with institutions
- Invest in the arts at the local-level to support artists, communities, and local economies against displacement and exploitation
- Advocate for the presence, the needs, and the issues of local artists and communities to be reflected in the public programming and initiatives of large arts and cultural institutions
Brown Art Ink is an equal opportunity employer led by women of color. Candidates from diverse backgrounds and professional tracks are encouraged to apply.
The video editor will report to Brown Art Ink’s community manager and work from home. Regularly scheduled meetings will be required in order to discuss project goals, priorities, and review. Availability to work and meet during business hours is important.
- Create storyboard and production schedule
- Manipulate and edit film pieces in a way that is invisible to the audience
- Review shooting script and raw material to create a shot decision list based on scenes’ value and contribution to continuity
- Trim footage segments and put together the sequence of the film
- Input music, dialogues, graphics and effects
- Create rough and final cuts
- Ensure logical sequencing and smooth running
- Consult with Brown Art Ink’s community manager from production to post-production process
- Continuously discover and implement new editing technologies and industry’s best practices to maximize efficiency.
Create a 1-2 minute video to:
- Create awareness of Brown Art Ink’s Women-in-Residence project mission
- Direct audience to Women-in-Residence website for project launch and to learn more about the project
- Inspire audiences to donate to the project
- Statistics on women of color in the arts
- Live-action shots
- Graphics aligned with Brown Art Ink and the WIR brand identity
The ideal candidate possesses:
- Proven work experience as a Video Editor
- Solid experience with digital technology and editing software packages (e.g. Avid Media Composer, Lightworks, Premiere, After Effects and Final Cut)
- Demonstrable video editing ability with a strong portfolio
- Thorough knowledge of timing, motivation and continuity
- Familiarity with special effects, 3D and compositing
- Creative mind and storytelling skills
- Ability to communicate information and organizational needs effectively
- Enthusiastic belief in Brown Art Ink’s mission and programs
Job Type: Contract
Pay: $16.00 – $41.00 per hour
Brown Art Ink is fully remote, requiring no in-person or on-site work.
- Video Editing: 1 year (Preferred)
- Please share a link to your portfolio.