Climate Change Communications Manager – Lincoln Headquarters – Lincoln, MA
Company: Lincoln Headquarters
Address: Lincoln, MA
Mass Audubon is seeking a Climate Change Communications Manager to play a vital role in increasing the impact of our climate change initiatives. The Climate Change Communications Manager will support the implementation of Mass Audubon’s first organization-wide Climate Action Plan. Our Climate Action Plan calls for bold action to fight climate change when it is needed more than ever. Together, we will build an informed and passionate constituency at all age levels, conserve and steward natural lands, secure the adoption of strong climate legislation, and eliminate Mass Audubon’s carbon footprint. Through this work, we will achieve our vision of creating a carbon neutral Massachusetts by 2050 while maintaining a livable environment for all people and wildlife. This position be a member of an interdisciplinary team implementing specific aspects of the Plan and will integrate our climate action work into all that Mass Audubon already does.
In this role, you’ll develop content and manage campaigns to motivate broad audiences to fight climate change and minimize the carbon footprint of Massachusetts. You’ll also work with Mass Audubon’s leadership to craft and tell the story of Mass Audubon’s role and impact in responding to the climate crisis, to support fundraising and awareness building efforts.
You’re an innovative, entrepreneurial, results-oriented professional with drive and the ability to work on deadline while identifying opportunities for greater impact. You have a passion for creating a better world for people and nature. This is a chance for you to advance an amazing mission and do your best work within a fast-paced, collaborative environment!
- Develop and lead campaigns to communicate to new and existing audiences about the impacts of climate change and motivate to change individual and collective behavior
- Create content to support climate communications, including written and visual formats for social media, email, blog, website, print, video, and other channels
- Collaborate with centralized departments and teams at Mass Audubon’s wildlife sanctuaries throughout Massachusetts to implement climate change education, outreach, and advocacy initiatives
- Tell the story of Mass Audubon’s climate impact via presentations, video, and other formats in support of fundraising efforts
- Support climate change outreach by producing and distributing materials and coordinating logistics for various events, including festivals, climate summits, fundraisers, and career fairs
- Keep abreast of the latest climate news and lead rapid response communications efforts as appropriate
- Work with in-house Marketing and Communications team, as well as freelancers – videographers, photographers, graphic designers, etc. – to produce polished and high-impact communications
- Work with the Climate Change Program Director to implement the Climate Action Plan
- Support sanctuaries and departments with climate communications needs, as requested
- Serve as a member of the Climate Leadership Team
- Position requires a Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of five years of direct or related experience.
- Deep understanding of climate change communications best practices to drive behavior change, connect climate change to land protection and ecological management, and create collective impact throughout communities
- Familiarity with Yale Program on Climate Change Communications data and research as well as the National Network for Ocean and Climate Change Interpretation best practices
- Strong desire to make a meaningful difference in the fight against climate change across all audience groups
- Sense of urgency and drive to respond quickly and efficiently to developments in the broader climate landscape
- Experience in creating content across various communications channels and for different audiences
- Ability to manage several deadline-driven projects simultaneously
- Strong writing and editing skills, including ability to line edit and proofread
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively within teams, while also driving toward collective impact
- Ability to relate to and seek input from a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion
- Solid design sense to create high-impact communications, in collaboration with in-house and freelance graphic designers, videographers, and photographers
- Basic proficiency with graphic design tools, particularly Adobe InDesign, for light editing
- Strong attention to detail
- Attend events on weekends or in the evenings as needed
- Preferred working knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese
- Proficiency with standard Microsoft Office and videoconferencing applications
- Successful completion of CORI, SORI and driver’s records checks
- Demonstrated ability to promote, embrace, and respect ethnic, cultural, and linguistic diversity and to accommodate physical and intellectual disabilities.
- Travel within Massachusetts and possession of a valid driver’s license is required.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience; includes full benefit package.
Mass Audubon embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are dedicated to forming a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to: