Director of Live Broadcast – Quad Media, Inc. – Austin, TX
Company: Quad Media, Inc.
Location: Austin, TX
Quad Media, Inc.
Position Background: Note: This position is fully remote.
Quad Media, Inc. is a new and exciting initiative from the Women’s Flat Track Derby Association, the governing body for the sport of roller derby. The purpose of Quad Media is to engage in the production of media and promotion to grow the sport of roller derby, and specifically for the advancement of women, underserved, and/or underrepresented community members in quad skate sports.
Quad Media will build on the exciting work of the WFTDA’s innovative WFTDA.tv by re-envisioning the digital brand of roller derby broadcast by portraying a strong, athletic, and revolutionary sport through high-quality video productions of WFTDA bouts to viewers all over the world*
Under the supervision of the Quad Media Board of Directors, the Director of Live Broadcast Operations manages the live operations for video-based media projects in tandem with the WFTDA and/or other organizations as needed. By working primarily as a telecommuter, the Director of Live Broadcast will also serve as the networking face for the organization in a broadcast capacity and be responsible for developing broader relationships that expand viewership and brand-awareness for the sport of roller derby.
Live Production Responsibilities:
- Provide vision and innovation around events, and live broadcast productions;
- Closely work with community members such as WFTDA Tournaments, Marketing, Sponsorship, Games and Officiating to improve broadcast specifications and production standards;
- Continue developing dynamic fan engagement strategies including stats usage and/or potential for fantasy league interface;
- Work with broadcasters via the WFTDA Talent Management Committee and/or other communities to develop announcing and on-air talent who can accurately and dynamically present broadcasts for new and seasoned viewers alike;
- Establish well-planned, documented systems for all program facets to ensure a proper history and archive of the process;
- Work closely with roller derby video producers and contractors to continue ensuring the highest-quality standards in all productions;
- Evaluate new platforms and partners for exposure opportunities.
- Research and stay on top of industry trends in order to maintain a high level of excellence in production standards;
- During games, playoffs and tournaments, attend all events to ensure technical and creative success for each broadcast alongside game-day staff;
Content Strategy Responsibilities:
- Develop Content Management, storage and a distribution strategy that will ensure a cost-effective way to maintain digital assets while allowing a clear policy for community members to gain access to footage for training and promotional purposes;
- Oversee production and delivery of packaged video content as needed
Leadership and Management Responsibilities:
- Manage day-to-day tasks of finance, ensuring invoices and payments are made to vendors in a timely manner;
- Work with WFTDA Technology and Marketing if needed to maintain WFTDA.tv as a hub for digital media for the WFTDA;
- Coordinate directly with the event director and video production companies to ensure venue and technical standards for each broadcast;
- Communicate regularly with Quad Media Directors to ensure mission-driven decision-making;
- Maintain and grow broadcast viewership through excellence in production and the development of additional content produced by community members and organizational partners;
- Using a variety of revenue streams, grow the broadcast program into a financially well-balanced and sustainable program;
- Investigate new models that could help attract more productions, leagues and broadcast opportunities.
Impeccable organization and prioritization skills
Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
Excellent ability to liaise with and educate staff and volunteers
Ability to budget and control financial records for all manner of events and programs
Superior time management and remote working skills
Demonstrates leadership and poise under pressure
Ability to create policy and procedure
High sensitivity to inclusion and accessibility
- Bachelor’s degree in film and video production, communications, sports management, or finance; or equivalent professional experience;
- 7-10 years of broadcast, video or film production, coordinating and accounting experience in a management or leadership role;
- Demonstrated budgetary and financial experience;
- Ability to work 40+ flexible hours, independently, telecommuting from a home office;
- Ability to attend all/most broadcast events as needed, specifically during September , October and November;
- High level of understanding around streaming technologies, live broadcast production, and managing/hiring crews;
- Understanding and familiarity with nonprofit or membership-based, athletic or women-focused organizations;
- Roller derby knowledge is preferred.
The position currently does not have any staff direct reports. The position works closely with staff, Board of Directors, committee chairs, and department heads as necessary to devise, implement and direct workflow around finances and operations.
This position is part of a virtual team. The Director of Live Broadcast routinely must be comfortable communicating and managing work and projects via virtual technologies.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Some flexibility of hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during core working hours (time zone dependent), five days per week. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
The WFTDA and its subsidiaries will provide basic health insurance and a 401k retirement plan for US employees. Non-US employees will be provided equitable benefits. All employees receive an Unlimited PTO package and a technology stipend, in a relaxed, collaborative remote working environment..
Our organizations are committed to creating equitable and inclusive work environments to support the success of the full range of our employees. We believe that employees who feel valued and respected will create policies, programs, practices and services to effectively meet the needs and exceed the expectations of our increasingly diverse customer populations.
We encourage candidates to apply who have demonstrated capacity to create inclusive work environments, work effectively on increasingly diverse teams, and serve the increasingly diverse clients of our organization.
We are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $55,000.00 to $60,000.00 /year
- supervisory: 7 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Fully Remote
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Innovative — innovative and risk-taking
- People-oriented — supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply