The role is unpaid but flexible, so you’ll be able to fit your schedule around other commitments, at a time that suits you and from the comfort of your own home.
Social Media INTERN
Are you a skilled wordsmith with strong leadership and journalism skills? Are you on Reddit for hours on end? Is your first thought during breaking news to tweet updates and curate conversations online?
If you answered yes to all of these and are ready to take your skills to the newsroom — a highly visible position reporting directly to the Marketing and Media Relations Manager— then you should apply for our new role. Avant-Youth, a multimedia platform for young people, is seeking a Social Media Intern to create, edit, and publish content for our Twitter, Instagram and Reddit page. This position is ideal for anyone who loves being on social media, and is obsessed with storytelling, people, and the communities they live in.
A strong candidate will have a mix of editorial, creative and social skills. Candidates should understand how to tailor content to a young audience, optimize it for different platforms, and build and maintain a network of sources.
Being that this is a new venture, candidates should be flexible, extremely adaptable, driven and ambitious, willing to try new things and pivot when necessary. This is an apprenticeship opening with the opportunity for long term work and collaboration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Report to the Marketing Manager on your multi-channel content calendar, monthly reporting and data analytics, current digital status and forecast.
- Coordinating with a team of editors to create and publish high-quality content and maintain social editorial calendar with copy, assets, and links.
- Liaise with Production Managers to produce social assets and curate photography.
- Participate in weekly senior meetings for brainstorms with content strategy. You will work regularly and closely with our editorial, production, and marketing teams. The days of sitting separately on one side of the newsroom are gone, so get ready to make friends and roll up your sleeves.
- You will be responsible for our Reddit calendar and recommend/implement vendor relationships related to social, audience and engagement.
- You will be helping oversee our email marketing, newsletters and other products, including ones we haven’t thought of yet.
- You must be able to think big picture, because you’ll be in charge of building and driving our strategy to increase trust and engagement, fight misinformation, and help turn our fans into subscribers and advertisers.
- Draft and coordinate real time responses to consumers reaching out to the brands on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other branded channels.
- You will build true integration of social media, print and digital efforts, making sure the work you and your team does is widely disseminated through all channels.
- You will be responsible for attracting top notch talent to drive new initiatives, short-and-long form video, audio and video podcasts, and all their future iterations.
- 1-2 years experience working at a publication, in social, digital channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Minimum 1 year social media community and campaign execution experience.
- Experience working closely with creative teams to develop social-specific creative.
- Impeccable social media copywriting skills, with attention to detail.
- Strong understanding of Reddit, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube’s features. Simply being on these platforms does not qualify you for this role. The ideal track for this job will be a reporter or editor who moved into social media and digital and now wants to expand on those skills.
- Knowledge and understanding that good social media goes way beyond posting content; you get excited about the audience and engagement side of the equation, whether analyzing daily analytics or performing a quarterly audit of subscriber conversions.
- You enjoy being social. You don’t look at Facebook merely as a way to stay in touch with friends, rather, you utilize it to gain new consumers of content. Your middle name is engagement.
- Be relevant–stay up to date and informed about new and emerging platforms and best practices like HootSuite and Sumall. You must be ready to experiment with varying degrees of success.
- Masterful in using data and crowdsourcing to find stories and bolster our content.
- An understanding of what resonates with youths in the Atlanta community
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (special focus on Excel and ability to work with pivot tables and create a variety of reports).
- Willingness to go above and beyond for Avant-Youth’s mission.
- Collaborative yet independent
- Passionate, what you do fuels you
- Analytical, a problem solver
Who we are:
The only digital-first, nonpartisan multimedia publication that informs and involves young Georgians about local community topics, public policy, social and statewide issues – Avant-Youth is an online newsmagazine with four sections that focus on individual empowerment and youth development within the state of Georgia and the city of Atlanta. Our coverage has an emphasis on being “actionable,” in that it’s useful and helpful to readers.
We share stories that concentrate on local topics that directly pertain to our youthful audience. Our mission is to inform the decisions and actions that may guide young people into empowering their lives. We aim to do so by encouraging positivity through stories that offer a solution. Informational resources are provided to affect change. We give our readers the tools they crave and need to succeed.
Our digital content displays unique stories and perspectives about life, relationships and challenges that intersect with your values. We provide a fresh, focused view on local topics that you’ve grown up around, for you to explore what matters most.
Job Type: Internship
- Flexible Schedule
- Professional Development Assistance
Due to COVID-19, a lot of this work will be done remotely.
- Multiple locations
- Fully Remote
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- Adaptable/flexible — enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented — would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Autonomous/Independent — enjoys working with little direction
- High stress tolerance — thrives in a high-pressure environment
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants under 18 years old, provided it is legally allowed for the job and location
- Open to applicants who do not have a high school diploma/GED
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A good job for someone just entering the workforce or returning to the workforce with limited experience and education
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
Company’s Facebook page:
- Temporarily due to COVID-19