Senior level research executive responsible for the planning and execution of all linear and non-linear multi-platform research related to the brands, content, marketing, distribution and advertising sales for the national networks business.
- Responsible for conducting innovative qualitative and quantitative research providing insights, recommendations and serving as a key point of information for senior executive strategic decision-making.
- Directs and manages a best-in-class research team, driving thought leadership and helping build a consumer and advertiser-centric company culture.
- Synthesizes research findings to “tell a story” with action-oriented implications, distilling and communicating complicated information to an array of stakeholders.
- Creates ongoing and ad-hoc analyses that track the performance of the Scripps National Networks and their digital properties, providing consumer insights, trend forecasting and multiplatform measurement with specific emphasis on improving viewership and monetization of content.
- Collaborates with marketing and programming to manage and align network brand positioning and the corresponding acquired and original content pipeline “filter.”
- Monitors overall changes in audience behavior and emerging trends, along with the awareness, attributes and overall strength of the Scripps Networks brands within the competitive marketplace.
- Works with marketing to develop target audiences, brand personas and deliver insightful learnings.
- Provides research support for on-and-off-channel promotional strategies.
- Significantly influences ad sales’ go-to-market strategy to achieve short and long-term revenue goals, including data and in-depth analysis for the development of annual upfront presentations.
- Works with key internal stakeholders to create actionable insights for sales teams to build various projects and pitches.
- Utilizes social metrics to provide an objective view of the Scripps Networks social performance, audience impact, trends and engagement.
- Oversees the development of audience estimates for rate cards, potential programming acquisitions and program schedules to support sound financial planning including the development of the budget and long-range plan.
- Ensures quality control and fiscal responsibility for primary research projects.
- Manages relationships and partnerships with key third-party vendors and data providers.
Education & Experience
- Minimum of 15+ years of experience working for media companies with a sophisticated understanding of quantitative and qualitative research, grounded in established survey methodologies, questionnaire writing, analytical techniques and report writing.
- Minimum 7+ years’ experience in building, managing and leading high-performing and successful teams.
- Graduate degree and/or agency experience beneficial.
Skills & Abilities
- Must have in-depth fluency and understanding of media measurement methodologies and landscape, including OTT/online analytics, Nielsen systems and cross-platform products.
- Consultative strategist and strong collaborator with storytelling skills that transform data and the consumer’s voice into actionable insights, and the ability to explain the logic behind solutions in a clear and concise manner.
- Established media industry leader with in-depth knowledge of the content landscape.
- Excellent ability to think strategically, analyze large data sets, create an articulate, engaging narrative and craft data visualization that is contextually impactful.
- Creative, strategic and critical thinker with exceptional collaboration skills and executive presence.
- Self-starter, deeply curious, exceptionally organized and proactive.
- Diligent, diplomatic, positive, go-getter.
- Willingness to challenge traditional thinking.
- Possesses a passion for television shows and movies.
Normal work environment.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is one of the nation’s leading media companies, focused on creating a better-informed world through a portfolio of news, information and entertainment brands. Scripps will become the nation’s largest television broadcaster, reaching 73% of U.S. television households through 108 stations in 76 markets, pending regulatory approval of its acquisition of ION Media. Committed to serving local audiences through objective journalism, Scripps operates 60 local TV stations in 42 markets. It is creating a national TV networks business that will include ION Media’s entertainment programming, Newsy’s straightforward headline and documentary news content and the five popular Katz broadcast networks including Bounce and Court TV. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.