Sound Maintenance Technician – Meow Wolf – Santa Fe, NM
Company: Meow Wolf
Location: Santa Fe, NM
The Sound Maintenance Technician works closely with the Tech Department in Santa Fe, NM during the build process for Denver, CO. The Sound Maintenance Technician develops best practices, standard operating procedures, as well creating documentation of custom interactive artwork, objects and installations that seam together sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements; which will all be a part of the Denver exhibition. This role will ultimately be responsible for maintaining the exhibition onsite in Denver, ensuring technical systems security and functional upgrades in order to keep the sound show tech systems operational. The Sound Maintenance Technician has comprehensive knowledge of all technical sound systems in the show, including global and local audio control via the console, microcontrollers and media servers. Success in this role is dependent on a team approach where this role will provide staff training (MODs, Docent Leads, etc.) to engage with the tech in the show and fix minor daily problems via our custom show control system. When necessary they will manage the assessment, ordering, and safe repair for larger broken tech systems.
- Work with Docent Leads to make sure any immediately solvable problems are dealt with
- Review the Docent Bug Report and Tech Failure Log for changes in daily operation
- Replace electronic parts, and low voltage sound components as needed
- Install new cabling in and out of exhibition as it relates to art installations
- Keep track of Sound Maintenance inventory, and order parts as needed
- Clean, and maintain tech closet/nook electronics
- Work with other Ops teams to keep the Denver exhibition fresh, and functional
- Add new content to exhibit devices
- Install, connect, and test any new electronic devices, as appropriate
- Be available for consultation on any tech issues relating to the Denver exhibition
- Work with physical maintenance team to solve any AC power problems, or upgrades
- Contribute creatively and technically to upgrades
- Document all upgrades and changes
- QSC’s Q-Sys Platform
- A comprehensive understanding of the hardware and software pallette of the Meow Wolf Sound Team
- Understanding of vendors and contractors available to hire
- Strong composition and sound sound design background
- Strong creative problem solving skills
- Extensive experience with collaborative work environments
- Experience with interactive audio systems
- Experience with generative audio systems
- Experience with mechanically actuated musical systems
- Experience with spatial sound systems
- A well-rounded understanding of modern musical styles and practices
- Clear and articulate communication skills
- Clear and articulate documentation skills
- Understanding of acoustics
- General experience with film scoring
- Knowledge of and/or experience with art installations
- Background in Themed Entertainment
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This role also includes standard equipment for immersive experiences such as sensors, microcontrollers, computers, lights, sound, video, and electromechanical elements.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are TBD.
This position will require travel from Santa Fe to Denver, eventually transitioning full-time to Denver.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.