KOB-TV Master Control Operator – Hubbard Broadcasting – Albuquerque, NM
Company: Hubbard Broadcasting
Location: Albuquerque, NM
- Constantly monitor and maintain on air-accuracy of all programs and commercials of television stations and other related transmitters. Insure the timely and accurate switching of all audio and video signals switched through Master Control. Correctly operate all technical equipment used in Master Control.Communicate to maintenance/engineering staff any technical problems with equipment. Share information with the next shift on technical difficulties or unresolved issues with programming or equipment.
- Responsible for the acquisition and distribution (A&D) of programs and commercials for air.
- Operate all A&D equipment with proficiency. Tune and record satellite feeds for news and operations. Operate routers, microwave and satellite receiving equipment. Tune in all live shots for newscasts via microwave and satellite receivers.
- Operate computers to FTP material to and from HBI properties as well as from the public as necessary. Ingest and record programs and commercial content from Pathfire, DG, satellite and beta into the server. Time programs as needed.
- Operate all video equipment with proficiency. Handle playback of all video used during news programming or production sessions accurately and timely–includes loading, cueing, reloading, recuing, playing, recording and or changing any video as requested by director in advance of air time. Record air checks.
- Is prepared for unexpected changes and problems with network and local programming and is ready to respond in a crisis or breaking news.
- Maintain and complete with accuracy all logs and other records related to each Master Control shift.
- Edit playlists through conclusion of shift and into the next shift.
- Serve as communication link between Assignment Desk, Producers and Field Crews, keeping everyone informed as to changes that occur in the show rundowns or problems encountered in the field.
- Seek out ways to expand current skills and abilities; take initiative to learn new tasks, duties, technology and equipment.
- Offer ideas that would enhance or improve the way work is done.
- (FOR NY STATIONS) – Prepare and drive ENG trucks to and from stories under various driving conditions. Travel often locally; however, may also travel nationally. Requires working outside in all weather conditions. Obey all traffic laws and safety rules of the road while in a company vehicle. Report any problems or concerns with the vehicle and traffic incidents promptly to appropriate company representative. Keep vehicles clean and in good condition. Perform daily preventative maintenance on broadcast equipment and make repairs as required, conduct daily vehicle checks including oil and coolant levels on engines and generators to ensure they are in good working condition. Perform routine safety checks of trucks. Notify Chief Engineer of needed repairs. Operate video, audio, mechanical and generator equipment in the trucks for broadcasts. Lift and carry equipment weighing up to 60 lbs. Run video and audio cables sometimes several hundred feet indoors and outdoors; secure cable to prevent tripping of others. Report to work on time and work established schedule/hours. Ability to work other hours or alternate schedules as needed. Complete other duties as requested and needed.
- Previous experience in TV news preferably as a live truck operator, master control and or in engineering. Understand broadcast techniques and language and can demonstrate proficiency in use of equipment, techniques and language.
- High school diploma, on-the-job experience or 4 year degree
- Solid PC skills required.
- Must be flexible and able to deal with unexpected changes calmly. Ability to work well under pressure while multi-tasking to meet tight deadlines and stressful situations.
- Follow directions and instructions well and offer solutions or ideas.
- Strong team player. Work well with others. Foster a spirit of cooperation and helpfulness.
- Must be able to work various hours including nights, weekends, and holidays. Schedules may vary.
- Ability to work in compliance with company policies and procedures.
Ability to communicate in English, both verbally and in writing. Work with time sensitive information under tight deadlines and in pressure situations. Manual dexterity and fine motor skills to manipulate and operate personal computers, telephones and general office equipment (telephone, copier, etc.) for extended periods. Visual acuity to observe, asses, and identify Lip Sync, Closed captioning, and video artifacts from a distance. Ability to read, hear and speak clearly and follow both oral and written direction. Ability to think quickly and to articulate information in clear, concise manner to others. Ability to sit for extended periods. Average pushing and pulling, bending and stooping. The Company may make reasonable accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled